Walter F. Stafford, III
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence.
Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.
Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.
Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.
wstafford3 at walterstafford dot com
Senior Scientist, Retired
Ex-Director, Analytical Ultracentrifugation Research Laboratory, at
Boston Biomedical Research Institute
Associate, Department of Neurology, Harvard Medical School.
B.A., Lake Forest College, Chemistry, 1966
Ph.D., University of Connecticut, Biophysics, 1973
Protein physical chemistry. Interacting systems. Biothermodynamics. Hydrodynamics. Investigation of protein-protein interactions (PPI) and protein-nucleic acid interactions with particular emphasis on contractile proteins, DNA binding proteins, and antigen-antibody interactions using Analytical Ultracentrifugation, Circular Dichroism, and other biophysical techniques.
SUMMARY OF RESEARCH
All living processes are mediated by interactions between different proteins or
between proteins and other molecules or ions. For example, the expression of
genes is regulated by binding of regulator proteins called transcription
factors to DNA. The immune response is mediated by the interaction of the
immunoglobin (antibody) protein with an antigen molecule. Many metabolic
processes are regulated by the binding of small molecules to enzymes. Muscle
contraction is mediated by interaction of calcium ions with regulatory proteins
that in turn interact with the contractile proteins to initiate the production of contractile
Understanding the nature of these interactions is central to
understanding the chemical and physical processes that constitute life. My main
interests are in the application of physical methods to the study of dynamically reversible protein-protein
interactions (PPI) and protein-nucleic acid interactions that are relevant to physiological
function in normal and diseased states. Many interactions peculiar to disease states can be targets for drug therapy. I have been
involved in a project called The National Cooperative Drug Discovery Group
funded by the National Cancer Institute, in which we were engineering single
chain antibodies to breast cancer cells. These antibody molecules can be
used as vehicles for the targeted delivery of therapeutic agents to kill breast
cancer cells. The engineered antibody proteins are produced by using
techniques of molecular biology to produce antibody molecules with the desired
reactivity and properties. A very important step in designing protein
molecules is the assessment of their properties in solution and their strength
of binding to unique molecules found on the surface of breast cancer cells. The
physical methods of analytical ultracentrifugation are being applied to the
analysis of the strength of binding of the antibody molecules after changes are
engineered into them. New highly sensitive techniques for the
analytical ultracentrifuge have been developed in my lab at BBRI and are being
applied to these and other problems.
Click here for a complete list of publications (searches the National Library of Medicine's PubMed database.)
- Hayes DB, Stafford WF. (2010) SEDVIEW, Real-time Sedimentation Analysis. Macromol Biosci. Jul 7;10(7):731-5. PMID: 20593366
- Mabuchi Y, Mabuchi K, Stafford WF, Grabarek Z. (2010) Modular structure of smooth muscle Myosin light chain kinase: hydrodynamic modeling and functional implications. Biochemistry. 2010 Apr 6;49(13):2903-17. PMID: 20196616
- Cardinali B, Profumo A, Aprile A, Byron O, Morris G, Harding SE, Stafford WF, Rocco M.(2009),"Hydrodynamic and mass spectrometry analysis of nearly-intact human fibrinogen, chicken fibrinogen, and of a substantially monodisperse human fibrinogen fragment X." Arch Biochem Biophys. Epub 2009 Oct 22. PMID: 19853574
- Correia JJ, Alday PH, Sherwood P, Stafford WF. (2010) Methods Enzymol. 2009;467:135-61. PMID: 19897092 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Stafford, W.F.(2009) "Protein-Protein and Protein-Ligand Interactions Studied by Analytical Ultracentrifugation" in Methods in Molecular Biology 490: Protein Structure, Stability, and Interactions. Ed. John W. Shriver, Humana Press, pp 83-113.
- Houmeida, A., Baron, A., Keen, J., Khan, G.N., Knight, P. J., Stafford, W. F., Thirumurugan, K., Thompson, B., Tskhovrebova, L. and Trinick, J(2008). "Evidence for the Oligomeric State of 'Elastic' Titin in Muscle Sarcomeres." Journal of Molecular Biology 384(2): 299-312.
- Hodi, Z. Rapali, P. Radnai, L. Molnar, T. Szenes, A. Kardos, J. Buday, L. Stafford, W. F., and Nyitray, L. (2007). The LC8 family of dynein light chains: Multifunctional chaperon-like proteins. FEBS JOURNAL 274, Pages: 106-106, Suppl. 1 Meeting Abstract: B1-37
- Hodi, Z. Rapali, P. Radnai, L. Molnar, T. Szenes, A. Kardos, J. Buday, L. Stafford, W. F., and Nyitray, L. (2007). Cellular localization and trafficking of endogenous ATP7B and COMMD1 proteins. FEBS JOURNAL 274, Pages: 106-106, Suppl. 1 Meeting Abstract: B1-37.
- Alday, P. H., Correia, J. J., Laue, T.M., and Stafford, W. F.,(2007). Use of absorbance and fluorescence-detected sedimentation in characterizing high-affinity protein complexes.
- Adams GP, Tai MS, McCartney JE, Marks JD, Stafford WF 3rd, Houston LL,
Huston JS, Weiner LM. (2006) "Avidity-mediated enhancement of in vivo tumor targeting by single-chain Fv dimers." Clin Cancer Res. 2006 Mar 1;12(5):1599-605.
- Liu, H., W. F. Stafford and M. Bouvier (2005). "The endoplasmic reticulum lumenal domain of the adenovirus type 2 E3-19K protein binds to peptide-filled and peptide-deficient HLA-A*1101 molecules." J Virol 79(21): 13317-25.
- Knight, P. J., K. Thirumurugan, Y. Xu, F. Wang, A. P. Kalverda, W. F. Stafford, 3rd, J. R. Sellers and M. Peckham (2005). "The predicted coiled-coil domain of myosin 10 forms a novel elongated domain that lengthens the head." J Biol Chem 280(41): 34702-8.
- Mukhopadhyay, S., K. Langsetmo, W. F. Stafford, 3rd, G. D. Henry, J. D. Baleja and S. Sarkar (2005). "Identification of a region of fast skeletal troponin T required for stabilization of the coiled-coil formation with troponin I." J Biol Chem 280(1): 538-47.
- Stafford, W. F., M. L. Walker, J. A. Trinick and L. M. Coluccio (2005). "Mammalian class I myosin, Myo1b, is monomeric and cross-links actin filaments as determined by hydrodynamic studies and electron microscopy." Biophys J 88(1): 384-91.
- Gelinas AD, Toth J, Bethoney KA, Stafford WF and CJ Harrison. (2004) Mutational analysis of the energetics of the GrpE.DnaK binding interface: equilibrium association constants by sedimentation velocity analytical ultracentrifugation. J Mol Biol, 339(2), 447-58.
- Eva-Maria Frickel, Patrick Frei, Marlene Bouvier, Walter F. Stafford, Ari Helenius, Rudi Glockshuber and Lars Ellgaard,(2004) "ERp57 is a multifunctional thiol-disulfide oxidoreductase", J. Biol. Chem. Feb 10 [Epub ahead of print]
- Stafford, W. F. and P. J. Sherwood (2004). "Analysis of heterologous interacting systems by sedimentation velocity: Curve fitting algorithms for estimation of sedimentation coefficients, equilibrium and rate constants." Biophysical Chemistry,108,231-243.
- Stafford, W. F. and E. H. Braswell (2004). "Sedimentation Velocity, Multi-speed Method for Analyzing Polydisperse Solutions." Biophysical Chemistry,108,273-279.
- Sontag, C. A., W. F. Stafford, and J. J. Correia (2004). "A Comparison of Weight Average and Direct Boundary Fitting of Sedimentation Velocity Data for Indefinite Polymerizing Systems." Biophysical Chemistry, 108, 215-230
- Wang F, Thirumurugan K, Stafford WF, Hammer JA 3rd, Knight PJ, Sellers JR. (2003) "Regulated conformation of Myosin V." J Biol Chem. Nov 22 [Epub ahead of print]
- D. G. Myszka, Y. N. Abdiche, F. Arisaka, O. Byron, E. Eisenstein, P. Hensley, J. A. Thomson, C. R. Lombardo, F. Schwarz, W. Stafford, and M. L. Doyle (2003) "The ABRF-MIRG'02 Study: Assembly State, Thermodynamic, and Kinetic Analysis of an Enzyme/Inhibitor Interaction." Journal of Biomolecular Techniques 14:247-269.
- Stafford, W.F. (2003) "Analytical Ultracentrifugation. Sedimentation Velocity Analysis" Current Protocols in Protein Science. 20.7.1-20.7.11, John Wiley & Sons.
- Gelinas, A. D., J. Toth, K. A. Bethoney, K. Langsetmo, W. F. Stafford, and C.J. Harrison (2003). "Thermodynamic linkage in the GrpE nucleotide exchange factor, a molecular thermosensor." Biochemistry 47(30): 9050-9.
- Nyitrai, M., W. F. Stafford, Szent-Gyorgyi AG, & Geeves MA.(2003). "Ionic interactions play a role in the regulatory mechanism of scallop heavy meromyosin." Biophys J 85(2): 1053-62.
- Terrak, M., Wu, G., Stafford, W.F., Lu, R.C. and Dominguez, R. (2003) "Two distinct myosin light chain structures are induced by specific variations within the bound IQ motifs - functional implications." EMBO J., 22, 1-10.
- Mingnan Chen, Walter F. Stafford, Gundo Diedrich,| Amir Khan, and Marlene Bouvier (2002) "A Characterization of the Lumenal Region of Human Tapasin Reveals the Presence of Two Structural Domains." Biochemistry, 41, 14539-14545.
- Tetsuya Mori, Sergei V. Saveliev, Yao Xu, Walter F. Stafford, Michael M. Cox, Ross B. Inman, Carl H. Johnson (2002) "Circadian Clock Protein KaiC forms ATP-dependent Hexameric Rings and Binds DNA" Proc.Nat.Acad.Sci. 99, 17203-17208.
- Gelinas, A.D., K. Langsetmo, J. Toth, K.A. Bethony, W.F. Stafford, C.J. Harrison (2002) "A structure based interpretation of E. coli GrpE Thermodynamic properties." J. Mol. Biol. 323,131-142.
- Waller, G., W. Stafford, H. Tsuruta, and P. Matsudaira (2002). "Calmodulin acts as a calcium-dependent latch on scruin domains." Biophys. J 82(1): 1861-.
- Langsetmo, K., W. Stafford and T. Tao (2002). "Interactions between the coiled coil regions of the small and targeting subunits of smooth muscle myosin light chain phosphatase." Biophys. J 82(1): 1736-.
- W.F. Stafford, M.P. Jacobsen, J. Woodhead, R. Craig, E. 0'Neall-Hennessey and A.G. Szent-Gyšrgyi,(2001), "Calcium-dependent Structural Changes in Scallop Heavy Meromyosin.", J. Mol. Biol. 307, 137-147.
- Li, Z., W. F. Stafford, and M. Bouvier (2001)." The metal ion binding properties of calreticulin modulate its conformational flexibility and thermal stability." Biochemistry 40(37):11193-201.
- Langsetmo, K., W. F. Stafford, K. Mabuchi, and T. Tao (2001). "Recombinant small subunit of smooth muscle myosin light chain phosphatase. Molecular properties and interactions with the targeting subunit". J Biol Chem 276(36): 34318-322.
- Stafford, W. F. (2000). "Analysis of reversibly interacting macromolecular systems by time derivative sedimentation velocity." Methods Enzymol 323, 302-325.
- Bouvier, M. and W. F. Stafford (2000). "Probing the three-dimensional structure of human calreticulin." Biochemistry 39(48): 14950-9.
- Doyle, M.L., Brigham-Burke, M., Brooks, I.S., Blackburn, M.N., Smith, T.M., Sokoloski, T., Newman, R., Reff, M., Stafford, W.F., Sweet, R.M., Truneh, A., Hensley, P., and O'Shannessy, D.J. ,(2000) "Measurement of Protein Interaction Bioenergetics: Application to Structural Variants of Anti-sCD4 Antibody.", Methods in Enzymology.323, 207-230.
- Laue, T. M. and W. F. Stafford (1999). "Modern applications of analytical ultracentrifugation." Annu Rev Biophys Biomol Struct 28: 75-100.
- Leinweber, B., Tang, J. X., Stafford, W. F., and Chalovich, J. M.(1999). Calponin interaction with alpha-actinin-actin: Evidence for a structural role for calponin, Biophysical Journal, 77, 3208-3217 .
- Margossian, S. S., Anderson, P. A. W., Chantler, P. D., Deziel, M., Umeda, P. K., Patel, H., Stafford, W. F., Norton, P., Malhotra, A., Yang, F., Caulfield, J. B., and Slayter, H. S.(1999)" Calcium regulation in the human myocardium affected by dilated cardiomyopathy: A structural basis for impaired Ca2+- sensitivity." Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry, 194, 301-313.
- Rivas, G., W. F. Stafford, and A.P. Minton (1999). "Characterization of Heterologous Protein-Protein Interaction via Analytical Ultracentrifugation." Methods: A Companion to Methods in Enzymology. 19,194-212.
- Stafford, W. F. (1998). "Time Difference Sedimentation Velocity Analysis of Rapidly Reversible Interacting Systems: determination of equilibrium constants by non-linear curve fitting procedures.Ó Bioph. J. 74: 301.
- Kordowska, J., Stafford, W.F., & Wang, C.-L.A. "Ca+2 and Zn+2 Induce Different
Conformational Changes in Calcyclin" (1998) Eur. J. Biochem., 253,.57-66.
- Ikebe, M., Kambara, T., Stafford, W.F., Sata, M., Katayma and Ikebe, R. (1998),
"A Hinge at the Central Helix of the Regulatory Light Chain of Myosin is Critical
for Phosporylation Dependent Regulation of Smooth Muscle Myosin Motor Activity". J. Biol. Chem. 273(28): 17702-17707.
- Raso, V. McGrath, Brown, M. Liu, S., and Stafford, W.F. (1997) "Antibodies
Capable of Releasing Diphtheria Toxin in Response to the pH Found in Endosomes." J. Biol. Chem. 272, 27618-27622.
- Parker, M.H. , Stafford, W.F., and Prevelige, P.E., Jr. (1997) "Bacteriophage
P22 Scaffolding Protein forms Oligomers in Solution." J Mol Biol. 268(3): 655-665.
- MacPhee, C. E., Chan, R. Y. S., Sawyer, W. H., Stafford, W. F., &
Howlett, G. J. (1997)." Interaction of lipoprotein lipase with homogeneous lipid emulsions." J Lipid Res. 1997 Aug 1; 38, 1649-1659.
- Mullins, R.D., Stafford, W.F. & Pollard, T.D.(1997) "Structure, Subunit Topology,
and Actin-binding Activity of the Arp2/3 Complex from Acanthamoeba."
J. Cell. Biol. 136, 331-343.
- Stafford, W.F. "Sedimentation velocity spins a new weave for an old fabric."
(1997) Current Opinion in Biotechnology 8, 14-24.
- Sata, M, Stafford, W.F., Mabuchi, K., and Ikebe, M.(1997) "The Motor Domain
and the Regulatory Domain of Myosin Soley Dictate Enzymatic Activity and Phosphorylation-Dependent Regulation, Respectively." Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci USA 94, 91-96.
- Phan, B. C., P. Cheung, W. F. Stafford and E. Reisler. (1996). "Complexes Of
Myosin Subfragment-1 With Adenosine Diphosphate and Phosphate Analogs -
Probes Of Active Site and Protein Conformation." Biophysical Chemistry. 59, 341-349.
- Liu, S. and W. F. Stafford. (1995). "An Optical Thermometer for Direct
Measurement of Cell Temperature in the Beckman Instruments XL-A Analytical
Ultracentrifuge." Anal. Biochem. 224, 119-202.
- Stafford, W. F. and S. Liu. (1995). "Methods for increasing the sensitivity
of sedimentation velocity analysis: A signal averaging Rayleigh optical system
for the Beckman Instruments Optima XL-A analytical ultracentrifuge." Prog. Biomed. Optics. 2386, 130-135.
- Stafford, W. F., S. Liu and P. E. Prevelige. (1995). "New High Sensitivity
Sedimentation Methods: Application to the Analysis of the Assembly of
Bateriophage P22." Techniques in Protein Chemistry VI. Ed. J. W. Crabb. San Diego, Academic Press. 427-432.
- Stafford, W. F., K. Mabuchi, K. Takahashi and T. Tao. (1995).
"Physical Characterization of Calponin."
J. Biol. Chem. 270, 10576-10579.
- Stafford, W. F. and T. M. Schuster. (1995). "Hydrodynamic Transport Methods".
Introduction to Biophysical Methods for Protein and Nucleic Acid Research. Ed.
J. A. Glaser and M. P. Deutscher. Orlando, Academic Press, Inc.
- Tai, M. S., J. E. McCartney, G. P. Adams, D. Jin, R. M. Hudziak, H. Oppermann,
A. A. Laminet, M. A. Bookman, E. J. Wolf, S. Liu, W. F. Stafford, I. Fand, L. L.
Houston, L. M. Weiner and J. S. Huston. (1995). "Targeting C-ErbB-2 Expressing
Tumors Using Single-Chain Fv Monomers and Dimers." Cancer Research. 55, S5983-S5989.
- Yphantis, D.A., J.W. Lary, W.F. Stafford, S. Liu, P.H. Olsen, D.B. Hayes, T.P.
Moody, T.M. Ridgeway, D.A. Lyons, & T.M. Laue (1994) "On line Data
Acquisition for the Rayleigh Interference Optical System of the Analytical
Ultracentrifuge." Modern Analytical Ultracentrifugation: Acquisition and
Interpretation of Data for Biological Synthetic Polymer System. Boston,
Birkhauser-Boston. pp. 209-226.
- Stafford, W.F. (1994) "Sedimentation Boundary Analysis of Interacting Systems:
Use of the Apparent Sedimentation Coefficient Distribution Function." Modern
Analytical Ultracentrifugation: Acquisition and Interpretation of Data for
Biological and Synthetic Polymer Systems. Boston, Birkhauser-Boston. pp.
- Stafford, W.F. (1994) "Boundary Analysis in Sedimentation Velocity Experiments."
Methods in Enzymology. Numerical Computer Methods, Part B,
Orlando, Academic Press. pp. 478-501.
- Adams, G.P., J.E. McCartney, M.S. Tai, H. Oppermann, J.S. Huston, W.F.
Stafford, M.A. Bookman, I. Fand, L.L. Houston, L.M. Weiner & W.F. Stafford
(1993) "Highly Specific in vivo Tumor Targeting by Monovalent and
Divalent Forms of 741F8 anti-c-erbB-2 Single-chain Fv." Cancer Res.
- Fairman, R., Beran-Steed, R.K., Anthony-Cahill, S.J., Lear, J.D., Stafford,
W.F., III, DeGrado, W.F., Benfield, P.A. & Brenner, S.L. (1993) Multiple
Oligomeric States Regulate the DNA Binding of Helix-Loop-Helix Peptides.
Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 90, 10429-10433.
- Stafford, W.F. (1992) "Boundary Analysis in Sedimentation Transport Experiments- A Procedure for Obtaining Sedimentation Coefficient Distributions Using the Time Derivative of the Concentration Profile." Analytical Biochem. 203, 295.
- Stafford, W.F. (1992) "Methods for Obtaining Sedimentation Coefficient Distributions" in Analytical Ultracentrifugation in Biochemistry and Polymer Science. Eds S.E. Harding, A.J. Rowe & J.C. Horton, Royal Society of Chemistry Cambridge UK.
- Brenner, S.L., Zlotnick, A. & Stafford W.F. (1990) "RecA Protein
Self-assembly. II. Analytical Equilibrium Ultracentrifugation Studies of the
Entropy-driven Self-association of RecA." J. Mol. Biol. 216,
- Stafford, W.F., Jancso, A. & Graceffa, P. (1990) "Caldesmon from Rabbit
Liver - Molecular Weight and Length by Analytical Ultracentrifugation."
Arch. Biochem. Biophys 281., 66.
- O'Shea, E.K., Rutkowski, R., Stafford, W.F. & Kim, P.S. (1989) Preferential
Heterodimer Formation by Isolated Leucine Zippers from Fos and Jun.
Science 245, 646-648.
- Sinard, J.H., Stafford, W.F. & Pollard, T.D. (1989) "The Mechanism of
Assembly of Acanthamoeba Myosin-II Minifilaments: Minifilaments Assemble
by Three Successive Dimerization Steps." J. Cell Biol.. 109,
- Adams GP, Tai MS, McCartney JE, Marks JD, Stafford WF 3rd, Houston LL,
Huston JS, and Weiner LM.
Avidity-mediated enhancement of in vivo tumor targeting by single-chain Fv
Clin Cancer Res. 2006 Mar 1;12(5):1599-605.
- Graceffa P, Wang CL, and Stafford WF.
Caldesmon. Molecular weight and subunit composition by analytical
J Biol Chem. 1988 Oct 5;263(28):14196-202.
- Adler AJ, Stafford WF, and Slayter HS.
Size and shape of bovine interphotoreceptor retinoid-binding protein by
electron microscopy and hydrodynamic analysis.
J Biol Chem. 1987 Sep 25;262(27):13198-203.
- Suzuki H, Stafford WF, Slayter HS, and Seidel JC.
A conformational transition in gizzard heavy meromyosin involving the head-tail
junction, resulting in changes in sedimentation coefficient, ATPase activity,
and orientation of heads. J Biol Chem. 1985 Nov 25;260(27):14810-7.
- Stafford, W.F.
Effect of various anions on the stability of the coiled coil of skeletal muscle
myosin. Biochemistry. 1985 Jun 18;24(13):3314-21.
- Adler AJ, Evans CD, and Stafford WF.
Molecular properties of bovine interphotoreceptor retinol-binding protein.
J Biol Chem. 1985 Apr 25;260(8):4850-5.
- Margossian SS, Chantler PD, Sellers JR, Malhotra A, Stafford WF, and Slayter H.S. Proteolytic susceptibility of both isolated and bound light chains from various
myosins to myopathic hamster protease.
J Biol Chem. 1984 Nov 10;259(21):13534-40.
- Margossian SS, and Stafford WF 3rd.
Calcium-induced dimerization of troponin-C.
J Biol Chem. 1982 Feb 10;257(3):1160-5.
- Stafford W.F.
Hydrodynamic approaches to the study of high molecular weight proteins and
large macromolecular assemblies.
Methods Enzymol. 1982;85 Pt B:570-3.
- Margossian SS, Stafford WF, and Lowey S.
Homogeneity of myosin subfragments by equilibrium centrifugation.
Biochemistry. 1981 Apr 14;20(8):2151-5.
- Stafford W.F., Graphical analysis of nonideal monomer N-mer, isodesmic, and type II indefinite
self-associating systems by equilibrium ultracentrifugation.
Biophys J. 1980 Jan;29(1):149-66.
- Stafford W.F., Szentkiralyi EM, and Szent-Gyorgyi AG.
Regulatory properties of single-headed fragments of scallop myosin.
Biochemistry. 1979 Nov 27;18(24):5273-80.
- Stafford W.F.
An externally adjustable motor-driven Rayleigh slit assembly for the analytical
Anal Biochem. 1978 Jul 15;88(1):104-8.
- Pollard TD, Stafford WF, and Porter ME.
Characterization of a second myosin from Acanthamoeba castellanii.
J Biol Chem. 1978 Jul 10;253(13):4798-808.
- Stafford WF, and Szent-Gyorgyi AG.
Physical characterization of myosin light chains.
Biochemistry. 1978 Feb 21;17(4):607-14.
- Stafford WF, and Yphantis DA.
Existence and inhibition of hydrolytic enzymes attacking paramyosin in
myofibrillar extracts of Mercenaria mercenaria.
Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1972 Nov 1;49(3):848-54.
- Stafford WF, and Yphantis DA.
Virial expansions for ideal self-associating systems.
Biophys J. 1972 Oct;12(10):1359-65.
Other publications - published independently by members of this laboratory
David B. Hayes, Ph.D.
- Eldredge J, Berkowitz S, Corin AF, Day ES, Hayes D, Meier W, Strauch K, Zafari M, Tadi M, Farrington GK. Stoichiometry of LTbetaR binding to LIGHT. Biochemistry. 2006 Aug 22;45(33):10117-28.
- Lee E, Hayes DB, Langsetmo K, Sundberg EJ, Tao TC.
Interactions between the leucine-zipper motif of cGMP-dependent protein kinase
and the C-terminal region of the targeting subunit of myosin light chain
J Mol Biol. 2007 Nov 9;373(5):1198-212. Epub 2007 Aug 25.
PMID: 17904578 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Lee SH, Hayes DB, Rebowski G, Tardieux I, Dominguez R.
Toxofilin from Toxoplasma gondii forms a ternary complex with an antiparallel
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007 Oct 9;104(41):16122-7. Epub 2007 Oct 2.
PMID: 17911258 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Lee SH, Weins A, Hayes DB, Pollak MR, Dominguez R.
Crystal structure of the actin-binding domain of alpha-actinin-4 Lys255Glu mutant
implicated in focal segmental glomerulosclerosis.
J Mol Biol. 2008 Feb 15;376(2):317-24. Epub 2007 Dec 4.
PMID: 18164029 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Chereau D, Boczkowska M, Skwarek-Maruszewska A, Fujiwara I, Hayes DB, Rebowski
G, Lappalainen P, Pollard TD, Dominguez R.
Leiomodin is an actin filament nucleator in muscle cells.
Science. 2008 Apr 11;320(5873):239-43.
PMID: 18403713 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
"Divide each difficulty into as many parts as is feasible and necessary to resolve it." ~ Rene Descartes
"Energy and persistence conquer all things." ~ Benjamin Franklin
"True happiness comes from the joy of deeds well done, the zest of creating things new." ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupery