Walter F. Stafford, III, Ph.D.
Senior Scientist (Retired)
Boston Biomedical Research Institute
Ex-Director: Analytical Ultracentrifugation Research Laboratory
Breast cancer, Huntington's Disease, basic cellular functions
My main interests have been in the application of solution physical chemical methods to study protein-protein and protein-nucleic acid interactions that are relevant to physiological function in normal and diseased states. Highly sensitive analytical techniques for the analytical ultracentrifuge have been developed by me at BBRI and are being applied to these problems. Ongoing development of mathematical methods, software algorithms and hardware, including optics and electronics, is continuing to improve the usefulness of these techniques.
Read More ... Stafford Lab
Connect to the RASMB
Correia, JJ, Wright, RT, Sherwood, PJ, Stafford, WF,(2020) Analysis of nonideality: insights from high concentration simulations of sedimentation velocity data
EUROPEAN BIOPHYSICS JOURNAL WITH BIOPHYSICS LETTERS, 49(8), 687-700
Li Y, Stafford WF, Hesselberg M, Hayes D, Wu Z, Byrne M. (2011) Characterization of the self-association of human interferon-α2b, albinterferon-α2b, and pegasys. J. Pharm Sci. Oct 4. doi: 10.1002/jps.22751. [Epub ahead of print]
Cole JL, Correia JJ, Stafford WF. (2011) The use of analytical sedimentation velocity to extract thermodynamic linkage. Biophys Chem. 159:120-8.
Haithcock J, Billington N, Choi K, Fordham J, Sellers JR, Stafford WF, White H, Forgacs E. (2011) The kineticmechanism of mouse myosin VIIA. J Biol Chem. Mar 18;286(11):8819-28. Epub 2011 Jan 6.
- Hayes DB, Stafford WF. (2010) SEDVIEW, real-time sedimentation analysis. Macromol Biosci. 10:731-5.
Mabuchi Y, Mabuchi K, Stafford WF, Grabarek Z. (2010) Modular structure of smooth muscle Myosin light chain kinase: hydrodynamic modeling and functional implications. Biochemistry. 49:2903-17.
- Correia JJ, Alday PH, Sherwood P, Stafford WF. (2009) Effect of kinetics on sedimentation velocity profiles and the role of intermediates. Methods Enzymol. 2009;467:135-61.
- Cardinali B, Profumo A, Aprile A, Byron O, Morris G, Harding SE, Stafford WF, Rocco M. (2010) Hydrodynamic and mass spectrometry analysis of nearly-intact human fibrinogen, chicken fibrinogen, and of a substantially monodisperse human fibrinogen fragment X. Arch Biochem Biophys. 493:157-68
- Hayes D, Napoli V, Mazurkie A, Stafford WF, Graceffa P. (2009) Phosphorylation dependence of hsp27 multimeric size and molecular chaperone function. J Biol Chem. 284:18801-7.
- Correia JJ, Stafford WF. (2009) Extracting equilibrium constants from kinetically limited reacting systems. Methods Enzymol. 455:419-46.
Stafford WF (2009) Protein-protein and ligand-protein interactions studied by analytical ultracentrifugation. Methods Mol. Biol. 490:83-113.
Stafford, W.F. (2009) Protein-protein and protein-ligand interactions studied by analytical ultracentrifugation in Protein Structure, Stability, and Interactions, J. W. Shriver, editor, Vol. 490, Methods in Molecular Biology series, pp 83-113, Humana (Springer), New York.
- Houmeida A, Baron A, Keen J, Khan GN, Knight PJ, Stafford WF, Thirumurugan K, Thompson B, Tskhovrebova L, Trinick J. (2008) Evidence for the oligomeric state of 'elastic' titin in muscle sarcomeres. J Mol Biol. 384(2):299-312.
- Adams GP, Tai MS, McCartney JE, Marks JD, Stafford WF, Houston LL, Huston JS, Weiner LM. (2006) Avidity-mediated enhancement of in vivo tumor targeting by single-chain Fv dimers. Clin Cancer Res. 12(5):1599-605.
- Liu H, Stafford WF, Bouvier M. (2005) The endoplasmic reticulum lumenal domain of the adenovirus type 2 E3-19K protein binds to peptide-filled and peptide-deficient HLA-A*1101 molecules. J Virol. 79(21):13317-25.
- Knight PJ, Thirumurugan K, Xu Y, Wang F, Kalverda AP, Stafford WF, Sellers JR, Peckham M. (2005) The predicted coiled-coil domain of myosin 10 forms a novel elongated domain that lengthens the head. J Biol Chem. 280(41):34702-8.
- Mukhopadhyay S, Langsetmo K, Stafford WF 3rd, Henry GD, Baleja JD, Sarkar S. (2005) Identification of a region of fast skeletal troponin T required for stabilization of the coiled-coil formation with troponin I. J Biol Chem. 280(1):538-47.
- Stafford WF, Walker ML, Trinick JA, Coluccio LM. (2005) Mammalian class I myosin, Myo1b, is monomeric and cross-links actin filaments as determined by hydrodynamic studies and electron microscopy. Biophys J. 88(1):384-91.
- Gelinas AD, Toth J, Bethoney KA, Stafford WF, Harrison CJ. (2004) Mutational analysis of the energetics of the GrpE.DnaK binding interface: equilibrium association constants by sedimentation velocity analytical ultracentrifugation. J Mol Biol. 339(2):447-58.
Click here for a complete list of publications (searches the National Library of Medicine's PubMed database.)